Wednesday, February 6, 2008

What you're cutting out of your scrapbook

I was searching the Internet yesterday and found a page where this person was talking about how they hated scrapbooking. At first I didn't understand. How could someone hate scrapbooking, I wondered.

As I read what they had to say I soon realized the point they were making was 100% correct. When you cut the pictures to put in your scrapbook you're cutting out bits of history. The things in the background of a picture bring back as many if not more memories as the person or people in the picture.

Looking through pictures of when I was small I realized that there are many things in those pictures that do bring back wonderful memories. That old rickety swingset that you're cutting out of those pictures will bring back memories of an easier time. A time when playing and napping and eating your peas were the only things you had to worry about.

In a picture of my grandma there is an old garage. We lived in the country and we had an outhouse until I was about 7. No, we didn't live in the backwoods!! We were not rich and we simply had to wait until we had that money to put plumbing in. That outhouse and that garage bring back wonderful memories. The garage, we used to climb on top of and get in such trouble. The garage was falling in and we knew it but we didn't believe them when they said it would fall in.

There is a picture of my mother and us kids riding bikes down the dirt road. In the background there is a barn, a machine shed and a house. We used to play in the soybeans and the lofts in that barn and we used to sneak into that house and play. The road is now paved, the barn and machine shed have now been torn down. And where that majestic old two story brick house used to sit is a new fancy house.

All of these memories will be cut away if I cut them out of the pictures.

It does take up a lot more room to use the entire picture. BUT... the memories will be much more if you leave the entire picture there.

Happy Scrapping. Leave us any suggestions or ideas you might have. We look forward to hearing from you.

Dream Finder

No comments: